Sunday, September 8, 2013

Bonnie and Drew's Wedding


Last month my oldest friend got married. I've known her for 16 years, when we were classmates in Shanghai. We've been each other's rock through the best and the worst, our parents have become good friends, she's the most dependable person I know and love her to bits. It was awesome to be part of giving a kickass wedding. Days after the wedding, we were still talking about it nonstop. Like when the groom read his own vows and tears welled up in my eyes, or when the groomsmen started singing and swaying to 98ยบ during the ceremony, or when we went to Alexander Muir Gardens for a photoshoot, surrounded by the spectacular beauty of flowers and towering trees.



I've never been the type of girl to be fazed with weddings, Say Yes to the Dress, nor did I have a solid idea of what my wedding will be like. I always thought the money could be spent on something else more meaningful. But seeing the couple together, holding hands and smiling from ear to ear made me look forward to one day tying the knot myself. 



I've been to a number of weddings in the past few years, always as a guest or a friend of the bride's but never has the sense of happiness been so infectious--everyone was so happy. Maybe because it was my first time as a bridesmaid or because I've known Bonnie more than half my life, whatever the reason, I'd definitely relive the whole day all over again even if it means waking up at the break of dawn and going to bed at 2am. At the end of the night, when the final course was served (it was veerrry good, hazelnut ice cream encased in a delicate shell of milk chocolate with caramel sauce. OMG I know), and the bride and groom wrapped up their speech, all there was left to do was drink and dance. I opted for the latter since my stomach was still queasy with anxiety from my speech but the dancing was by far, the highlight for the day. 



Several of old high school friends from Australia, California, New York and London flown in for the weekend and it was just like old times, dancing and singing with reckless abandon. I took a moment to absorb it all in, then I grabbed my camera so I could cherish it for many the many years to come. Friends, family and food, there's nothing like it.

Recipe here!

No comments:

Post a Comment